Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Top 5 Songs: Grace Potter and The Nocturnals

Happy Hump Day!

As I mentioned yesterday,there's not a lot to look forward to on TV this week, at least for me.
Arrow comes on tonight, and that's about it. Sad really...about as sad as Cartoon Network giving Young Justice and Green Lantern:TAS their pink slips.

                                                                                             (Credit to Supermeghan)


Yep, those two much watched shows, at least within my circle of friends, will no longer be renewed for another season. I really hope the show's creators can wrap things up, considering they might've had longer term plans, and now might have to cut some corners to reach the intended conclusions. We'll see.



I'm really discovering what a cool image/graphics site Tumblr.com is. That's where I got these images and the next one I thought was super-cute;)



Yeah found all those Tumblr, which I am now officially a member off. So you can catch me, Mr. Morbid and the whole House of Fun there as well.

And on to today's Top 5........




Today I selected a more recent and contemporary rock band, Grace Potter and The Nocturnals.

I heard of this group a year or so ago while watching a music festival on the VH1 Classic channel, but didn't really follow up. Man do I regret that.

Fronted by a gorgeous and very talented singer in Grace Potter, the band comes from the maple state of Vermont. So yeah, Maple syrup, Gay marriages  and Grace Potter; what a combination huh;)?

They started out as the typical indie rock band back in 2002, and since then have grown in stature and acclaim, consistently selling their albums in high demand in the iTunes and regular music charts.

When I first heard Grace Potter, I thought she was a country singer, since she seems to favor that kind of musical styling, but no, they are true and true, rockers my friends!

The more I listen to the band's songs, the more I really become enraptured by Ms. Potter's lovely voice. I believe they'll go far, and hopefully you'll feel the same way after this post. If I had to compare her voice, I'd say she sounds like Ann and Nancy Wilson from Heart, with a healthy dash of Janis Joplin , Alannah Miles, and Stevie Nicks in there. Not bad huh?

Now I didn't pick 5 songs from one particular album. Nope instead, I did the lazy, but creative thing(is that even possible to be both;) and decided I pick the top 5 songs from all their albums.

And so.......


5). "Nothing But The Water pt.1"

If this song doesn't make you feel like you're in church(to those that actually go) I don't know what else will;)
Grace Potter's voice just kills it, making you feel like you watching her sing in a church choir or something.
If only the movie 'Brother Where Art Thou?" was made a few years later, I could seriously see this song being included in the movie's soundtrack. It just fits.

4). "White Rabbit"

Alright kiddies, time to drop the Acid, spark the joint, and put this cover tune on.
This cover of Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" kicks ass, with Grace's stunning vocals and the backing sound of the band, with those guitars sounding like famed director Robert Rodriguez was playing those notes.

I don't know about you, but I think this Grace did the other Grace(Grace Slick) proud, don't you?

3). "Elvis Presley Blues"

I had never heard this song before, and just happened to see it while searching for songs from the band. Apparently this one's a cover from singer/songwriters Gillian Welch and David Rawlings.

I really enjoy this little tune, or as I think of it "The Ballad of Elvis Presley". The song seems to capture all the best parts of Elvis' history, humble beginnings, and the attributes that made him such a star.

If you're an Elvis fan, you probably already know of this song, but have you heard this version before? I'm more of a fan now of this sing due to the killer vocals of Ms.Potter. I swear she can fucking belt them out man.

2). "Stop The Bus"

Listen to the video, and tell me you're not loving this song.
It's pure rock, boasted by Grace's killer vocals and lyrics. And then you add the rocking accompaninment of the band, god lord, that's some good rock!

Here's the lyrics:
"We've been driving since the winter
The destination doesn't change
You know i can still remember
The day you asked me for my name

You are thee rock on the riverbed
Growing smoother every year
You are the voice inside my head
I can't believe you got me here

Stop the bus and turn the radio up high
And grab the first guitar you see
And get out the old flare gun and throw it to the sky
Tonight you're sleeping next to me

You give me something to remember
Each time you look into my eyes
You see through my trouble and my temper
And you call me out on every lie

Stop the bus and turn the radio up high
And grab the first guitar you see
And get out the old flare gun and throw it to the sky
Tonight you're sleeping next to me"

Love it:)

1). "Stars"

Take a listen from this song off their latest album, "The Lion, the Beast, and The Beat", and you'll maybe see why this was this week's top pick.

It's a beautiful song about a lost friend, but really the song and lyrics can apply to any loss of any person. The best songs usually do.

Here's the lyrics again, in case you didn't catch them in the video:
"I lit a fire with the love you left behind, 
And it burned wild and crept up the mountainside. 
I followed your ashes into outer space 
I can't look out the window, 
I can't look at this place, 

I can't look at the stars, 
They make me wonder where you are 
Stars, 
Up on heaven's boulevard 
And if I know you at all, 
I know you've gone too far 
So I, I can't look at the stars 

All those times we looked up at the sky, 
Looking out so far, 
We felt like we could fly. 
And now I'm all alone in the dark of night, 
The moon is shining, 
But I can't see the light, 
And I can't look at the 

Stars, 
They make me wonder where you are 
Stars, 
Up on heaven's boulevard 
And if I know you at all, 
I know you've gone too far 
So I, I can't look at the stars 

Stars, 
Stars, 
They make me wonder where you are 
Stars, 
Up on heaven's boulevard 
And if I know you at all, 
I know you've gone too far 
So I can't look at the stars."

Whew. Shit gives ya' chills you know?
And that's my top 5 list for this week. As always, feel free to contribute your top 5 list, or any other appropriate(or inappropriate;) comments.

Have a good one......

No comments:

"Closing time. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here."

Well..... I kinda always knew this day would come, and it sure has. It's been a hell of a ride, but it's time to for it end. Ti...